A-levels or BTEC
Entry requirements are in the range of A-level BBB–BCC (120–104 UCAS Tariff points), or BTEC Extended Diploma DDM–MMM. Our conditional offers typically fall within this range. We are looking for highly motivated and creative students. We will consider you on an individual basis. Your portfolio is the most important and mandatory part of your application. If your predicted or actual grades fall below the range below but you can evidence your thinking, ideas and abilities through a high-quality portfolio we will still consider your application.
Art foundation diploma
Pass. A foundation diploma is not a requirement for entry – it is just one of a range of qualifications that is accepted for admission to this course.
30 points, with three subjects at Higher level.
Access to HE diploma
Pass with 60 credits overall. Art and design courses preferred. At least 45 credits at level 3, and 30 credits must be at merit or above.
Studied before or got relevant experience?
A qualification, HE credits or relevant experience may count towards your course at Brighton, and could mean that you do not have to take some elements of the course or can start in year 2 or 3.
English language requirements
IELTS 6.0 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in each element. Find out more about the other English qualifications that we accept.
We are looking for highly motivated and creative students with the ability to draw, imagine, be curious, think and make in three dimensions, experiment and take risks and apply research processes.
In your portfolio, we will be looking for a range of images which demonstrate:
- a curiosity and ability to develop your ideas through a range of media and materials and an ability to communicate your ideas
- an ability to think and make in three dimensions
- your potential to experiment, imagine, and explore ideas and techniques
- good hand skills using any materials/things to make models or finished 3D pieces.
Your portfolio should include 15–20 slides of images and or short moving images that demonstrates a range of art and design exploration including:
- process and journey – an ability to develop an idea from concept, through a process of experimentation and development, to the realisation of creative 3D outcomes
- an experimental approach to investigation and discovery of materials and 3D processes
- an ability to make in three dimensions
- an ability to draw and apply a range of visual communication techniques to developing and recording your ideas
- an ability to research and critically reflect on your work within sketchbooks and preparatory studies
- 3D / 2D work which you have undertaken independently (from set briefs/formal educational study) which further illustrates your interest in design and craft
- a sample of your written work: either an essay or contextual piece of writing you have written on an art or design based subject, OR a personal and reflective statement that critically reflects on your interest and abilities within the broader subject of design and craft (between 250 and 300 words).
Find out more about how to create and submit your portfolio.
When you apply to Brighton we want to hear about who you are. Grades are never the whole picture; we're interested in things like creativity, resourcefulness, persistence and the capacity to think big and find new ways of doing things. And we recognise that not everyone has the same background. That's why we treat everyone who applies as an individual. We recognise many qualifications and we care about all of your achievements and the experiences you've had that set you apart.
Find out more