BBC, must include a science or social science subject at grade B.
DMM in a health or science subject.
27 overall with three subjects at Higher level.
Access to HE Diploma
pass with 60 credits overall. Health studies, nursing or science. At least 45 credits at level 3, with 30 credits at distinction.
GCSE (minimum grade C or grade 4)
- with Access course – maths and English.
- with A-levels, BTEC or K101 – at least five GCSEs including maths, English and science.
A wide range of other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis, for example, Open University K101.
For all nursing courses leading to registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) as a nurse, you must demonstrate the following:
- completion of 10 years general education
- successful completion of literacy and numeracy assessments during the interview process
- evidence of study within the last five years is desirable
- evidence of commitment to the profession
- passing of occupational health and Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks
- ability to meet travel requirements to attend placements
- ability to follow a shift pattern that could cover any part of a 24-hour seven-day cycle.
Completion of our Health and Social Care Practice foundation degree with 120 credits at level 5 may enable you to start in year 2 of our nursing degrees – Nursing (Adult), Nursing (Child) or Nursing (Mental Health).
Studied before or got relevant experience?
A qualification, HE credits or relevant experience may count towards your course at Brighton, and could mean that you do not have to take some elements of the course or can start in year 2 or 3.
Students successful at the application stage will be invited to attend an interview which comprises a values-based multiple mini interview format.
Tips for writing a good personal statement
- Identify why you are interested in the course.
- Only apply for one field of nursing (adult, mental health or child).
- Provide insight into your personal experiences, work or voluntary work.
- Do not discuss Florence Nightingale or quote words of wisdom as an opening statement.
- Consider how your referee may describe you and reflect this in your statement.
- Our nursing degree is theory and practice so discuss your ability to cope with the demands of the whole course.
Our applying to Brighton section provides more information on writing a personal statement.
Application timeline – September
You must be enrolled for your course before the start date.
Occupational health check
Your offer is subject to occupational health and DBS clearance.
All applicants must complete a University of Brighton occupational health clearance check. If you are working within an NHS/healthcare organisation you will still require a University of Brighton health clearance check.
Once you receive your health questionnaire you must fill this in immediately and return your completed and signed form to the occupational health department by the deadline provided (usually a couple of weeks before your start date), failure to do this will affect your ability to attend your first placement.
Send your form by email or registered post, see the form for contact details. Please note that the questionnaire will need your GP's signature which your GP may charge for, this will need to be paid for by you. We suggest that you use your current GP to complete this form rather than a university-based GP who will not have immediate access to your medical records.
The University of Brighton will pay for your occupational health clearance throughout your course. However you will personally have to pay for any travel to occupational health appointments at the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton.
We will send you your occupational health questionnaire by email in June if you are starting in September.
All applicants must complete a University of Brighton DBS clearance check.
If you are currently working within an NHS/healthcare organisation you will still require a University of Brighton DBS check. Failure to complete a University of Brighton DBS will affect your ability to attend your first placement.
- We will send you an email regarding filling in your DBS form in June if you are starting in September.
- The deadline for completing your DBS form will be provided but it is usually required at the beginning of the month in which you start your course.