The entry requirements listed here are our typical offer for this course if you wish to begin studying with us in 2019. They should be used as a general guide.
We operate a flexible admissions policy – this means that you could receive a lower conditional offer than the typical offer, informed by our assessment of your complementary non-academic achievements and experiences. For courses that require interview or portfolio review, this may also be considered in the level of any conditional offer that follows if your application is successful.
Applicants whose predicted A-level, or equivalent, grades fall below these requirements, but who can demonstrate a high commitment to the subject discipline or have relevant work experience, are still encouraged to apply and will be considered on an individual basis.
To be considered for a place you should normally:
- be currently working (paid or unpaid) with children from 0-5 years, at least two days per week (or equivalent) and to have been working with children for at least one year;
- have an appropriate A-level, have already undertaken initial training at Level 3 in working with children OR have an advanced modern apprenticeship in an appropriate subject;
- have agreement from your employer to support mentoring, assessment and workplace course activities;
- provide evidence of a valid DBS check at time of entry onto the programme; and
- have appropriate access to a computer and internet.
It is important to note that from September 2014 qualifications that are full and relevant for the purposes of the ratios at level 3 must meet Department for Education requirements. Staff must have at least a Level 2 numeracy and literacy qualification to practice as a level 3 practitioner. Applicants may be invited for interview.
English language requirements
Applicants with a language other than English as their first language must have proven competence in written and spoken English and will be required to have an IELTS average score of at least 6.0 or equivalent, and a minimum of 5.5 in all elements.